1. PVDR/LMMR may evaluate each applicant and make a determination as to suitability of Applicant as an owner of a PVDR Donkey or a LMMR Mule. The determination of whether an Applicant is suitable for adoption of a PVDR Donkey or a LMMR Mule is in the sole discretion of PVDR.
a. PVDR/LMMR may consider the following criteria for determining suitability of an applicant. The list is non-exhaustive and PVDR/LMMR may consider other criteria in its sole discretion.
i. Animal ownership history
ii. Criminal history
iii. Financial ability to care for a PVDR Donkey
iv. Equine experience
v. Property size/condition
2. Prohibitions: No PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule shall be used for cinematographic or commercial use without the prior written consent of PVDR. No PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule shall be used for breeding purposes; used for roping/rodeo or other cruel sports; or be leased or loaned for same.
3. Applicant shall keep the PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule on the Applicant’s property listed in the Application, and shall not keep the PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule in a boarding facility. A PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule must not be moved to a new property without the prior written consent of PVDR.
4. Applicant shall be the primary caregiver for the PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule. A PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule shall not be “gifted” to another party.
5. Applicant shall own at least one other animal from the equine family to provide companionship for the PVDR/LMMR Donkey or Mule. If the Applicant does not own another equine animal, PVDR/LMMR may deny Applicant’s application to adopt from PVDR/LMMR unless Applicant agrees to adopt a second PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule.
6. Applicant shall provide PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule with year-round access to clean, unfrozen water.
7. A PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule shall be regularly groomed and hooves maintained.
8. Applicant shall not breed a PVDR Donkey. PVDR Donkeys and LMMR Mules shall not be in a home with an un-castrated animal from the equine family. If a PVDR Donkey is pregnant at the time of adoption, Applicant shall castrate any male offspring and provide proof of said castration to PVDR within six months after the birth of the foal.
9. If there is any change in the health of a PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule, PVDR must be notified immediately. PVDR must be notified before a decision to euthanize an adopted animal is made.
10. Applicant shall not sell, trade or loan the PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule for any reason.
11. Upon the death of Applicant, the PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule shall be returned to PVDR.
12. If PVDR deems an adoption to be unsuccessful at any time, the animal must be returned.
If there is a conflict with another animal, the adopted donkey can be traded for another.
13. Applicant shall immediately return a PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule to PVDR if the Applicant is no longer capable of caring for a PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule for any reason.
14. Applicant is financially responsible for a PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule, including feed, farrier, dental and medical expenses.
15. PVDR/LMMR reserves the right to deny Applicant the opportunity to adopt a Donkey or LMMR Mule from PVDR/LMMR for any reason.
16. Right of Reverter: An Applicant obtains ownership of a PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule upon adoption; however, PVDR retains the exclusive right of reverter, in its sole discretion, with regard to any PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule adopted by Applicant. PVDR may exercise said right of reverter in the following circumstances:
a. Significant change in the health of the animal. A significant deterioration in health shall be determined in the sole and absolute discretion of PVDR.
b. If Applicant cannot care for the animal or for any reason does not desire to care for the animal.
c. If Applicant attempts to sell, trade or loan the PVDR Donkey for any reason.
d. If neglect or abuse of the PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule is suspected. Determination of neglect or abuse is in the sole and absolute discretion of PVDR.
17. PVDR Donkey/LMMR Mule Adoption Disclaimers
a. The Applicant understands that the information provided regarding the PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule being adopted might have been received by third parties and that information may be educated estimates of unknown facts about the PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule; therefore PVDR does not warrant accuracy or correctness of such information.
b. The Applicant hereby indemnifies and saves harmless PVDR, their directors, employees and volunteers, from all losses, damages, costs, expenses, liability, claims, actions and judgements of any kind whatsoever, including without limitation, attorney’s fees and litigation costs arising out of or caused by any damage or injury inflicted by the PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule once the adopter has taken possession.
c. The Applicant understands that upon taking possession of the PVDR/LMMR animal, he/she assumes all liability for the animal and any injury or damage, which may occur to or because of the PVDR donkey or LMMR Mule, and that PVDR is absolved of all liability.
d. The Applicant understands that there are laws in regard to equine ownership which vary by State, and agrees to comply with the laws of the State in which he/she resides.
e. The Applicant understands that he/she will be responsible for all legal fees and/or court costs incurred by PVDR in an effort to enforce that portion of the contract that requires the sterilization of all male offspring as provided for in Paragraph 8 of this Agreement.
f. The Applicant understands that PVDR Donkeys and LMMR Mule are Animals with unknown medical histories and, as such, may have been exposed to a variety of diseases, including diseases that may be transmitted from animals to humans. These diseases can have an incubation period of up to several weeks, that the PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule may show no signs of illness at the time of adoption. If an adopted PVDR Donkey shows signs of illness, the Applicant is responsible for seeking veterinary care for the PVDR Donkey or LMMR Mule and is also responsible for all medical expenses.
A printable version can be found here.
Click the following link to be taken to our online adoption form:
BY CLICKING YOU AGREE TO OUR ADOPTION POLICY